Monday

"You Will Have a Tale or Two to Tell When You Return." --Gandalf, The Hobbit


Well, now that I have even less time than I had before, I’m going to start this up again. Now that I actually have something to talk about beyond my usual daily walks around the loop and religious viewing of Phineas and Ferb.

 I’ve decided I owe Peter Jackson a hug. Him and his uncanny movie making timing is amazing. Although I increasingly cringe through a few choice battle scenes, there’s one member of the fellowship I’ve increasingly grown to love. Pippin. Because ever since I locked my Dad’s keys in the truck. miscounted my laps in the mile at a track meet, and gave my first prom date my mom’s number instead of mine, I’ve just felt for the guy. And I loved the fact that in the end he became a hero, foolishness, clumsiness, and all. It gave me some hope on some days. :)

And then, after my the bumbling high school years came to an end and it was time to move on, he came out with the hobbit. I felt same towards Bilbo. He didn’t want to leave his little shire with its friendly people and sentimental comforts. And you guys know all about how that parallels. So it became a common theme in my house whenever the topic of college came up:

 “Mister Baggins, where are you going?”

“I’m going on an adventure!!”

And I soon realized that so was I!

Another one was from Dr. Suess—someone I’d like to have a conversation with in the next life—“Congratulations! Today is your day. You’re off to great places. You’re off and away….You’re mountain is waiting, so get on your way!” And a page I’ll probably be referring to a lot, “On you will go, though the weather be foul. On you will go, though your enemies prowl. On you will go, though the Hakken-Kraks howl! Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak.” I actually thought of that one walking across campus last night after a whole day of trying to locate some Wi-Fi.

And these haven’t been the only ones. I’ve realized that if it’s taken me all of this energy just to leave my earthly home, I can only imagine how much it took for me to leave my heavenly one. The reasons were the same. I knew I needed to go to learn and progress in ways that I couldn't without leaving. I'm sure my doubts were somewhat the same as well.
 And I think someone else remembered that. Because after a tearful farewell to my parents, it took a lot to fight down my emotions and walk back across the street towards campus. I moved to, then chickened out and gave them each another desperate hug. Then, not even knowing what to think--which says a lot for me--I numbly turned to go, hoping to leave all that emotional build-up behind.
I hadn’t even gotten five steps away from the truck before I felt another arm wrap around my shoulders and squeeze me tight. I felt a warm, comforting smile and even, I want to say, a reassuring wave back at my parents as my Savior walked with me across the street and towards my dorm. I might not have been in their hands any more, but I was still in His. And I felt more secure in that moment than I had been feeling in weeks. And, of course, there was no more holding back the water works after that. It was a good thing I came home to an empty dorm J
It didn't matter that I knew people who could root up and leave like Velcro while I had been the good part of a blubbering mess the past month. And it didn't matter that I felt like a sheltered little porcelain doll about to be crushed by the world and its realities. I suddenly felt strong with Him there. Like I had done this before and I could do it again. And that feeling has lingered. As it said in the father's blessing before I came, I would "blossom". A much better description than what I had in mind for myself after I left little Joseph City.
 
“Make us proud,” my parents said, “We know you will.” Whether the counsel is from Earthly or Heavenly ones, I plan to do just that.

And just as a little friendly reminder, there was a gym bag at the bookstore with the words--I kid you not-- "Oh the places you'll go!"

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Oh, man! I'm crying, Doll!!!
And laughing!
You gave your prom date your Mom's number? I love it, haha!!

I can't wait for more update from you.
"Dolly's goes to College!"
It will be a movie someday... and please, you have to get the whole "giving your mom's number to your date" in the movie somewhere.