Sunday

A Girl's Flu

There's one minor thing that I forgot. Before one can blossom, one must push up through the soil. The frozen, snowy, hard soil. And I guess I kind of knew this. I knew I'd get homesick. I knew I'd call my mom. I knew I'd cry. What I didn't know is that I'd have pink-eye and the flu while I was doing all of that. Suddenly I wanted the living room fireplace, my grandma's "voodoo" skills, and an afternoon of nothing but Phineas and Ferb.

But such was not the case. I had classes to go to, homework to do, and door handles to disinfect. I had blossoming to do. And so I dragged my groggy self out of bed, laughed at my eye makeup , and tried to review all the blessings I knew were in store.

And it probably shouldn't have been as big a deal as I made it, but this was really trying for me. I guess I'm not that accustomed to physical trials. And I know that sounds really wimpy, but I feel like most of the stuff I've had to overcome has been emotional or spiritual. Problems that I can solve by searching for truths and being diligent. Problems I feel a little more in control of because their a matter of my personal choices and church is every Sunday and my scriptures are right where I always put them.

Community Care, on the other hand....

4 blocks down the road. Something I didn't discover until I realized that the snow can cover up the lines on the street, I got lost twice, I pulled out in front of another car, I asked for directions from the office about three times, and I eventually drove back home completely rattled and no healthier than I had been before I left. My parents called around that time and I completely lost it. I bawled and bawled. My dad kinda laughed, in his loving, Dad-like way, and told me that the first thing I needed to do was calm down. From there, he led me to Google maps and I felt really silly, but I got my check-up.

And despite all the effort I put into things, no matter how diligent I was, I later got a stomach ache. It was only for a short while but it frustrated me. I didn't want to have to rely on the pharmacist or Google maps, or my poor roomates, or even my overworking immune system. I just wanted it to be a personal thing that I could handle on my own and see a positive result of my own actions. Meaning I really needed this one.

And surprisingly it all ended rather quickly. The night after I took the doctor's prescription, things cleared up. My eyes weren't so red, the sun was actually shining. It felt great! So then I, of course, have to try and complicate things again and figure out what exactly what I had learned from it all. In semi-witty, blog-post form of course. I thought about it last night and all through church today. I puzzled and puzzed 'till my puzzler was sore. And there was lots. Simple things that made sense to me personally and things I'd be using in the future but I kept searching for something in-depth and more complicated that I could share.

And, in relief society, amongst all my whirring thoughts and the words of the lesson it came as clear--and as "duh" obvious--as a bell:

"Don't Complicate Things."

Right. I will get this down one day.

1 comment:

Cat said...

I was crying too Doll...truth be told...I was a mess, just ask Dad. I knew you would be ok but having to watch you go through it all was really hard for me. These experiences always help me think of our Heavenly Father & how he must feel when He watches us struggle. I had faith in you, I knew you would pull yourself through it & I'm certain He knows it too:) Love you Doll.