Sunday

100th Post!!!

I got really excited when I realized this. In fact, I wasn't really going to write anything today until I saw the 99 number because my week was pretty normal. Well...besides the fact that my roommates have now taken over on driving my car because my Joseph City traffic skills don't quite cut it. And the fact that the substitute for my Mission Prep teacher knew exactly who I was. Which--quick side trip--felt like one of those stories when some mysterious person shows up and pulls the main character's name out of thin air. All I did was volunteer to play the piano. Then he sort of tilted his head.
"Are you from Arizona?"
"Yeah, I am."
Further head tilt, "...Joseph City?"
Inner jaw drop, "...Yeah! I am!"
"Oh. Hello Sister Hansen."

Eerie. But amazing! I later figured out he had served in the Winslow stake for a time. I guess they were right when they said you can find Joseph City just about anywhere :) Now if only I hadn't forgotten to ask how he knew me.

Anyways, the whole post number thing got me thinking just how far blog has come.

It originally started out as a sort of tentative Personal Project idea. I started noticing all these little object lessons throughout my day and thought, since a different project I had wasn't working so well, that it might be cool to write those lessons down and put them somewhere where someone else could find them. Someone who might need them. I originally intended for any search engine surfer who happened to stumble across it and thought it might be a cool missionary tool. But these were all doubtful ideas. I really didn't think it'd go anywhere. I almost stopped once I hit ten hours. But thanks all of you super-supportive, super patient, and super-loving people, I didn't.

And it is a service. A true one. Because what do these 100 posts contain?

Memories, writing practices, silly metaphors, goofy wordings, and inexperienced outlooks. Doubts, fears, laughs, and loves. Pictures, compliments, lessons, insights, and emotions. Tributes, trials, and triumphs.

It has answered prayers. It has helped me discover myself as I put things into a clearer perspective. It has taught me what the Holy Ghost feels like. It was put experiences in new light. It has helped me see the hand of God in the details. It has watered my seed of testimony even though, at times, my emotions watered the keyboard.

Basically, these 100 posts cover my transition from teen to adult. Looking back, I'm tempted to cringe at some of my entries. About how clever I remember thinking I was or how childish my wording sounds but I realize now that that's the point. There's no way I'd be able to have the insights or outlooks I have now if I didn't have those.

And though my car handling skills obviously haven't progressed much since those driving class days, my personal roads have still split into two lanes (which, actually, we do have in our small town. We also have street blocks. Just clearing up that mistake. It's been bothering me for months :). And not just two lanes, but three or four.  Life seemed to get bigger at the same time I did, and  there's no way in the world I'd be where I'm at if I hadn't take time to notice all of the street signs along those roads.

You know, the ones marked, "Keep Right."
 

2 comments:

strongmom said...

I have enjoyed the few times that I have been on your journey with you through the blog. Thank you for your insights and for sharing!

Alicia said...

Dolly, you're awesome! Lacy misses you so much and she said, "Mom, we can just give Alice a nickname... Dolla."
That way we'd still have a "doll" around, haha.

I have a book of poems I wrote when I was a teenager. I thought they were AMAZING. And they are. Amazingly awful :) But I'm so glad I have them!

You're the best -we all love you!
~Alicia