Sunday

Soul Stretching

Wow, did I need General Conference....Every talk seemed directed at me in one way or another. I don't think I've ever had so many prayers answered at once!

I had one main concern on my mind as I listened. And it was that of a mistake of a friend. Though it had nothing to do with me, it really hurt to hear about it. I weighed heavily on my mind and heart for about two nights prior to conference and, though I knew it wasn't my fault, I kept wondering if there was possibly anything, anything at all that I could've done to prevent it. It was with this prayer that I curled up onto our living room couch this weekend to hear a much-needed prophet's voice.

It seemed every single talk and song somehow related to the situation, even at different angles. They helped me in others as well, but this one seemed the most prominent. I hadn't actually talked to this friend for awhile and had heard the news from several others. But by the end of the conference, I knew what I needed to do.

Telling my cousins that I'd pursue talking poodles and evil shadow-ninjas in a few minutes, I walked home from my grandma's (where I was watching the last session) and went straight to my room where I dialed up this amazing person I was so fortunate to have in my life.

I admit, I was nervous. What if the prompting was only my imagination? What on earth would I say? How would she react?

 "Hello?"

 Looks like I'd have to worry about those later. "Uh, Hey!"

I won't give the whole conversation (partly because I probably can't remember it) but, with the same spirit that reminded me to repent of my self-centeredness and focus on the one who really needed the help here, I told her how much I loved her and that I was still her friend. She quietly admitted that she'd been a little frightened to tell me because she was afraid I'd say the exact opposite.

I figured as much. So I simply repeated my message and, ladies and gents, you won't believe the rush of love I suddenly felt for that girl, that daughter of God. I don't think all of it was my own either.

Needless to say, all the hurt I had was gone. Lessons I had learned from the mouths of inspired people, from apostles and prophets, were reaffirmed as I shut my phone and fell to my knees.

Forgiveness, charity, patience in trials, the atonement. These are qualities I now have a stronger testimony of. But its so true! The lord desires to stretch our souls to greater heights, to consume our dross, to bring out the heroes in all of us. It's through trials that he is able to do this.

Two nights ago, with tired, disapointed tears trailing as I attempted to record the event in my journal, I would've never imagined myself on my knees so soon muttering a thousand thank-yous to the same being who I thought wasn't listening. I thought wrong.

1 comment:

Larry & Jessi Bushman said...

Hey Dolly, Thanks so much for sharing this experience! You are such a special young woman, and have and will do great things! I really appreciate how good you are to Hailey, she really looks up to you!Thanks for being a great example to me, so glad I could have such a great person as a neighbor growing up!