Sunday

Homecoming

As you can tell by the less-than-creative title, I shall be reminiscing about how Homecoming went, for all you who are interested. For those who aren't, bear with me; I should have a more profound post Wednesday-ish.

As the tradition goes, at least in my school, the girls where their date's practice jerseys to school and then to the game. I thought it no different for me so I got thinking. When it came to football, my date didn't play quaterback, runningback, or any other sort of back--he played the trumpet. (And he's stinkin' good at it to. Did I mention during one game our small band opted out on him and he had to play a solo?) Anyway, so I got thinking...

It was during my fitness class when I was doing yoga--I believe in the middle of the "boat pose"(not the shower this time)--that the idea struck. Afterschool I rushed to the small town choir teacher/band teacher/elementry music teacher/Local D.J./Jr. High Football coach to ask if I could steal one of those fancy, oversized, nerdy band jackets. He said "Yeah." I said "Thanks."

And this is what I did with it: (that's paper by the way. I would have my head through a trombone if it was permanent.)


And, just for the full effect, here's the front. I still haven't figured out what that little rope thing on the shoulder is for...


I discovered a social skill through all this--at least in my school. If you drive an interesting car to school on your first day of having a license, accidentally mix up nerd day with just an ordinary monday, or wear a blue and gold portable sweat room to class, you do it with pride! Then people will look at you and say--hey, that's kinda cool. If you do it with slumped shoulders and eyes down, then they tease you. It's just something I've noted throughout my highschool career--so I strutted this thing!

And it made my date laugh really hard and brag to someone about it who was wondering if I had a loose screw or something--making it totally worth it!

Then there was the dance. After rushing around like a chef without a salad, I thew on my outfit, plastered on some make-up, showered myself in hairspray, and practiced in my new highheels before texting him that I was ready. He was too and said he'd be there in a minute, opening the latch to my internal butterfly cage.

"There he is!" my mom greeted as she opened the door. I grabbed my phone and clip-clopped down the hall.

Now, ladies and gents, (especially gents) I really appreciated the slight rise of the eybrows and smile I got. It made stressing over modesty so worth it! It was the same with prom with the soft "woa!" or just the pleased grin. So go for it guys, compliment your wives, your daughters (I loved when my Dad told me I looked nice), your sisters, your friends--I'm sure they'll appreciate it too.

So then, after my mom's photo shoot (which I'm sure you'll see more of soon), we went over to my date's house for his mom's photo shoot--then it was off to the dance!

We were the first date there...its a good thing we established before hand that we both really like dances....

The music was...alright. There were a few good songs here and there, but otherwise it was just rap junk (no offense to those of you who like it, I just don't appreciate the lyrics.) So me and my date decided to reccomend the hokey-pokey. Yeah, we rock like that.

After the dance--which ended up really being a blast--we went to my ward's bishop's house for waffles! Him and his wife are amazing! Who stays up until 2:00 a.m. making waffles for a rowdy bunch of teenagers? They do. And they're good at it too!

It was then, after laughing and joking with our fellow attendees for awhile after having finished the best thing I've ever eaten that late, I discovered my date needed to get up at 7 for a choir thing. So, deciding I was tired too, we left. He walked me to my doorstep and I gave him a hug, as what happens on every other date I've been on. But I knew this one was fun because as I was getting ready to say my prayers and turn in, I saw the jacket hanging on my chair and felt kind of bummed that it was over.

But hey, I'd see him in Monday. And--my favorite part about dating--I just added another friend to my list.

2 comments:

Kristi @ Lolly Jane said...

You are so bold- I wish I could see a pic of you in that jacket!! Glad you had fun at the dance- your date sounds like a great catch :)

Dolly said...

Yeah, he was cool. I still have the jacket though. I'll bet I can get my mom to take a pic :)