Monday

Being Homecoming Queen

This week was our school's homecoming week, as most of you know. Because we're a small town full of trucks and tumbleweeds, the theme was western. And I loved it!! I think I dressed up for every day except for western celebrity because I woke up with a cold and was in more of a t-shirt and skater-shoes mood. But the real shocker for me was that me and the two friends mentioned in the last post were voted homecoming royalty.

We laughed because, of all the people they could've voted for, it was us. Us three who really didn't care a whole lot. But it was fun and we spent the week teasing each other over who would get the shiniest crown. What I was more excited for, though, was the fact that my baby brother got to be the cute little crown bearer! After I saw him in his little suit I was ready to take him to the dance.


Finally, during a complete blow-out of a football game that we were winning, the moment of truth came. All us attendants scrambled down onto the track and shivered in the cold until they announced our names. And, guess what? I was voted queen. And well-deserving friend of mine was voted king.

It wasn't until then that all the excitement hit. I guess because I had all these amazing friends and relatives rooting for me and because I was just handed a big, huge bouquet of flowers. And the crown. Of course the crown. Ever since I was little I've wanted a tiara that looked real like that. And now I had it :)

It was really fun! I got all these smiles climbing back up into the bleachers and, because I'm a girl and silly things like crowns and flowers change things, I suddenly felt prettier than I had a few minutes ago. But when I got home and hung the sash on my mirror, really looking at it for the first time, the surprise finally hit.

For some reason I don't see myself as Homecoming Queen material. I'm not sure why. I guess I just don't feel like all those girls posing in the magazines that we order dance decorations from. I haven't lettered in anything sports related. I go no higher than five miles above the speed limit. There are times when I'd rather hide away in my room and add onto my stories than go to most movie parties. Unless I'm singing aloud to my iPod, I can be showered and ready for school in half an hour. I personally avoid having a boyfriend at this point.  I still get grass stains from playing in my grandma's yard. And I listen to Veggie Tales for Heaven's sake!

So maybe I wasn't the paper doll cut-out that I always had in my head for these types of girls. But as I walked back into my place in the bleachers, I realized that there was no one who gave me a dirty look or anyone I felt like I needed to avoid. Maybe it wasn't neccisarliy my amount of friends as it was my lack of enemies. I began wondering if it was more respect than it was popularity which, quite frankly, was fine by me. I'd rather have the first anyday because respect lasts far longer than graduation.

I decided then that, though I might not always recieve an award for it, I would continue to be myself. I'd be the type of homecoming queen who could share her crown. The kind who treated others no less than herself and walked with lady-like confidence. Though it may sound silly because its only a school title, I decided I wanted to be continually deserving of the title of queen. Homecoming or no.



No comments: