Sunday

Recent Revelation

If there's one word that describes my college english book its culture shock. Er, I guess that'd be two words wouldn't it? Either way, its been a real eye-opener.

I admit that I probably need to be more educated about what's out there. My only real view into 'the real world' comes from passing by the news channel on my way to my room and a couple whispered conversations held behind me in my art class. Other than that, I basically live in a Disney movie.

So when I started reading these stories in my advanced-placement english class, I began feeling really...small? I dont' know. Naive maybe. Just...not the most prepared person to face this crazy world. I still don't even know who has the right of way at an unmarked intersection for heaven's sake!

But some of these articles shocked me. The authors always seem to analyze, critique, and sort the principle right out of a work of art. Reserved beliefs and standards just seem to be foolish--even cowardly--to them. There's no wrong or right, just persuasive or narrative. It seems any sort of principle is thrown to the wind; art is simply art, take it or leave it.

And not all of them are like this. So far it's been decently balancd with some more lighter topics, but still! I'd always heard of these types of things in the world but I'd never actually experienced them in this way. And, somehow, I felt kind of wimpy in that way.

One day, though, after I got home and was beginning to wonder how I'd ever survive college life at this rate, I felt something. It was quiet feeling. One that calmed me. One that said my Heavenly Father knew me. And, though the world may have found my shock weak and foolish, He understood it. He. He who knew everything understood it. And because He knew me, He knew all of my goals, including college. Though it might not always be a piece of cake, He would be there. He'd sent me to the perfect place. The perfect family and the perfect neighborhood for what He had in store for me. And if I only trusted and followed Him, He would prepare me. I may not know everything, but I knew enough. As President Thomas S. Monson said, "The future is as bright as your faith."



No comments: