Sunday

Grad Night :D

So even though I've been invited thrice, I finally went to Grad Night. And before you up and call me an anti-social hermit, allow me to explain. You see, I'm a morning person, not a night person. So, frankly, the idea of being locked in a lighted building until 4 in the morning really didn't appeal to me. I was usually in bed by the time this thing started.  But peer pressure kicked in as it always does and I found myself yawning at the entrance of our school building.

It actually turned out to be a ton of fun and I never knew so many giant inflatable spectacles could fit in our little gym. My first stop was lazer tag. I ended up going through it three times but I think the funnest time was the last. The group I went with was hilarious. I quote from the very bored freshman I stood by who was describing just how bellybutton peircings worked, "You stick the earing in your bellybutton and then swallow the back of it. Then it goes right down," he roughly traced his intestines with his finger to show its path, "and clicks right on."
I laughed out loud. They didn't call us 'hicks in the sticks' fer nuthin.

The lazer tag game took place in a dark maze made up of black tarps and creepy workers who appeared at random around the corner.

It was this time that, for once in my life, I was winning something. I was ducking behind the tarps and then popping up in the windows and bulls-eyeing the blinking vests of my peers, causing them to cry out in despair as their gun went out and, for five seconds, they 'died'. I zipped around corners and caught them unsuspecting and even managed to win a few battles of just shooting at each other when we both turned the same corner and rammed into each other. For someone who'd only ever won Carmen San Diego in the 6th grade, it felt great!

But there were those that were more competitive than I and began to get fed up with my shoot-and-giggle-then-run tactic. One of those people finally cornered me after I had shot her down and her gun reloaded. She grabbed my gun arm and forced it above my head, shoving me against the tarp and aiming for the blinking triangle on my vest, making me feel like I was in some high-action spy movie. Luckily I could still move my wrist and managed to aim and hit hers first. She dropped my arm, hung her head, and walked off, defeated. Meanwhile I straightened my vest and shook my head, reminded why I was always content to let others win.

Next was the ultimate dodgeball dome where I was pummeled in the face and then the huge, air-filled wrecking ball where I was pummeled in the stomach. I decided after that that it was time to go swimming.

Now, just so you all know for future reference, don't grab me by the legs and drag me through water at one in the morning. It has a tendancy to make me grouchy. I love the kid so I hope I didn't kick him too hard, but it was one. In the morning. Hello.

I finally got out and decided I could use some icecream to maybe keep my eyelids half-way open. But what turned out to be more energizing was the people I sat by. There was tinsil on the table and one of the guys stuck a piece between his teeth and began blowing, making it flutter. We all laughed and grabbed out own strip of tinsel (someone even grabbing a whole handful) with the warning to not accidentally inhale it. For half an hour we entertained ourselves and everyone else within two tables as the seniors got their prizes.

After that, it finally came to an end. So, half my hair still wet and the rest frizzing up, my make-up washed clean (except for the mascara which was slightly running down my face). and with bleary, red, and bagged eyes, I went to find my shoes. I walked passed a classmate and his friends and smiled a 'hello' at as I passed. He kind of gave me a look like he was supposed to tell me something but I thought nothing of it and just kept walking until, a few seconds later, he tapped on my damp shoulder.

I turned back around, my eyes blinking at opposite times, "Hey."
"Hey," he grinned, "Um, Jeremy and I were going to the temple to do baptisms for a group date. You want to come with me?"
It took a minute to register but once it did, I suddenly, at 4 a.m., wasn't quite as tired. Nor did I feel quite as ugly, "Yeah! That'd be great!"

Now it is here that I must brag about the awesome young men we have 'round these parts, whether they feel the same way or not. For all their rambunctiousness and boys-locker-room stories, there's something there. I've seen many of them ask less popular girls to dances, wake up at 4 a.m. to anonymously do our bishop's farm chores for him last Christmas morning, gentlemanly open doors for girls, make fun bets to get peers to go to seminary class, leave their friends for a moment to encourage their siblings in the hallways of school, creatively stand up for peers being made fun of, work hard, dress nice, know the true definition of fun, share their talents, and send text messages like this:

"Hey we are going to leave at 9 30 in the morning on tuesday and don't forget your temple recommend and thanks for agreeing to go on this date and for being worthy and keeping your virtue :-)"

No comments: