Sunday

Yay for Track Meets!


And here is the sequal to last weeks post!

We had a track meet. In Pheonix. We left at 4:30 a.m. and didn't get back until 11:00 p.m. On the bright side, I finally mastered sleeping on the bus, got to read a deliciously huge chunk of Work and the Glory, and even finished writing a scene in one of my many stories I've been stuck on for a week now. That, and I got a tan.

I also managed to graciously become my friend's comedy center.

First off, I got that sudden shrinkage feeling that I always get when I go to places that have about as many teenagers present as my entire Jr./Sr. high school buildling can hold. The backs of my grubby shoes had been chewed by one of our dogs, my hair was in a simple ponytail with a few stubborn whisps falling out, my nose bragged quite the collection of freckles, and my teammates were chucking pebbles at pidgeons.

Heheh. 1A all the way.

Second off, I managed to drop one of those grubby shoes down in the bleachers. So, for reasons I can't recall, I put on my one shoe and tromped down to find its mate.

My step slowed as I realized there was a huddle of about seven dudes in my path, hanging out in the shade.

"Uhh," I muttered, suddenly remembering how undiligent I had been at shaving my legs, "Could you hand me my shoe please?"

They looked down at my footwear skeptically before assembly-lining it to me.
"Thanks," I grinned, stumbling to slip my foot back in.

"Well," I muttered to my friend, "Now that Cinderella has retrieved her slipper..."
"Yeah," she chuckled, "From seven Prince Charmings."

Thirdly, I dropped it again. I was just considering how much of a neccessity it really was, when one of them handed it up to me again.
"Your shoe," he growled.
"Aheheh, thanks. Sorry."

Fourthly, I missed my race. 800 meters in da trash. I had been stretching and warming up and talking to a few other girls during the first heat (there were 4. I was in the 2nd) when all of a sudden I heard a second gun shot.

Ah great, I thought. So, just to confirm my doubts, I tromped (I think tromping makes me feel more confident or something) over to the sunburnt guy who looked in charge.
"Was that the second heat?" I asked innocently.
"Yep."
I sighed, "Crap."
He only chuckled.

And so, without further ado, I tromped back to the bleachers, giggling at me and my "Annelieness" as my dear friends put it. (Translation: The fantastic skill of being consistently unaware, clumsy, and just plain silly.) But there was still someone to answer to...

"Um, Coach?"
"Yes?"
"I...er...I...missed my race. They are running right now."
I watched as his face suddenly broke into a huge smile and he let his forehead fall to his clipboard in laughter.
I smiled and began to laugh with him, immensly relieved. (Though I can garentee its going to haunt me for the rest of the season :)

Thank goodness for laughter! Thank goodness for gentlemen! Thank goodness for alert bus-drivers! and thank goodness for people-putter-uppers! I think I'd be an annoying headache on legs if it weren't for them.

(P.S. For all you who care, I did get third in the mile @ 6:55. I'm not a complete athletic failure :)

1 comment:

Alicia said...

What a great post! So funny! I liked picturing you guys chucking rocks at birds. Classic.
And good job on your race!!!