Sunday

Good Things of the Earth

I had a lousy dream last night. I really disslike when that happens because then you wake up with not only morning breath, but an attitude that reaks just as bad, if not worse.


So, after saying my slighty distracted morning prayer, I looked down and saw my scriptures sitting on the side of my bed.

You should read those.


...I'll do it later. I'm busy wallowing in self-pity right now.


Oh c'mon. It's fast sunday. What are you going to do until then, stare at your favorite cereal box?


True. No one was up yet so there really wasn't anything else of worth I could do. And besides, from experience, usually whenever I don't feel like doing something I should probably do, it means I really need to do it.


So, rembering I was going to try and fast for a little more self-mastery anyways, I reached down, grabbed my scriptures, snuggled up in my twisted mess of blankets, and turned to where I left on in my Seminary reading: Doctrine and Covenants, section 59.


And guess what? I needed it.


It really helped turn my frown upside down with verses like 15-17 and 19-20,


"Verily I say, that insasmuch as you do this (fasting and prayer with a glad heart and a cheerful countenance--isn't that a coinkadink.) the fulness of the earth is yours, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which climbeth upon the trees and walketh upon the earth; Yea, and the herb, and the good things which come of the earth, whether for food or for raiment or orchards, or for gardens, or for vinyards... for taste and for smell, to strenghten the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgement, not to excess, neither by extortion."


Its fall so all those beautiful yellow, orange, and pink leaves came to mind as well as good, wholesome music, family, friends, scriptures, homemade panakes, warm fireplaces, the smell of baking bread, feeling the breeze in ones hair, smiles, laughs, good books, inspiring artwork, getting a handwritten letter, icecream, service projects, hugs, fun pets, ingenious inventions, the smell of spring, clean jokes, wearing your favorite t-shirt, true love--just all those 'good things which come of the earth' chased that grumpy attitude up the street and around the corner, never to be seen again--at least that's the goal.


What really hit home, though, is that it 'pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man.' If 'men are that they might have joy', then it only stands to reason that he'd give us all these amaaazing blessings for our happiness. Of course, they can be used in excess or extortion--which eventually brings misery--but it's just satisfying to know that maybe it wasn't just a coincidence that someone smiled at you yesterday, or that butterfly fluttered past you as you angrily tramped through your yard, or the book you read just 'enlivened' your soul, or even the ambitious invention of the lightbulb that, if you think about it, has brought you a plethera of other blessings.


It ended with this, "But learn that he who doeth the works of rightesouness shall recieve his reward, even peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come. I, the Lord, have spoken it, and the Spirit beareth record. Amen."


I once heard a quote, "We can't break the commandments, we can only break ourselves against them." Doing whats right, believe it or not, brings joy and peace both now and in the long run. Doing whats wrong doesn't.


Just some food for thought.

No comments: