Monday

Dear Daddy,

1.Thanks for all those fishin' trips. I can still taste the raw corn and smell the lake water. My fascination for everything in your tackle box are still fresh in my memory from the neon colored bait to the jar of red fish eggs. I wonder if that purple dino pole and smiley-face bobber is still around...

2.  Thanks for all the silly stories before bedtime. Even when my friends came over for sleep overs. I was the envy of them all :) And I still remember the ones about the fat gummy bear who finally saw his toes and as the tomato who was terrified to "catch-up".

3. Thanks for teaching me how to fix my bike and now my car. And for showing me life's best roads to take them down.

4. For working your tail end off. Whenever I feel overwhelmed all I need is glance at the length of your daily to-do list.

5. I love the way you make friends with the guy getting gas on the other side of the meter, the cashier in Safeway, and anyone else who crosses your path. I've been with you when you helped people with their flooded basements and I've caught you cutting wood for people. I'm always proud to say your name when people ask who's daughter I am.

6. For playing with us. Whether its baseball, videogames, or restaurant coasters.

7. Thanks for the horse rides and the round-ups. I'll have fun telling my college roomates about them.

8. I love your laugh. And how you always knowing just what will make me laugh.

9. For being able to fix anything and everything. I vaguely remember wanting to test your skills at one pointby asking if you could fix a rock--obviously the strongest element there was. You probably don't remember but you said it was easy; just use super-glue. I've since been convinced that no one can top you. Whether its super-gluing a rock, my favorite toy, or my broken heart.

10. Thanks for all those father's blessings. Even if my problems sounded silly, you always seemed to recognize that they were real to me.

12. Thanks for loving Mom! And for the gentle suggestions to help her around the house.

13. Thanks for your love for the outdoors and helping me appreciate it as well. And for sharing your talents. I still remember the birthday party where all my friends and I made bows and arrows out of tamarack.

14. For that poem that I ran across one day on Mom's blog. It brought tears to my eyes and I think I'm going to print it out and bring it with me when I leave. That way I can cry some more when I'm there.

15. For sitting out on the porch and sharpening your arrows waiting for my first date to show up :)

16. For brake checks in the truck.

17. Thanks for that one night when you stayed up late with me on the couch giggling at my newest VeggieTales movie. Perhaps there's a deeper reason to why I haven't been able to let go of those.

18. For the random phone calls just to say hi and the random notes on my pillow just to say I love you.

19. For encouraging me in everything I do. Whether its writing, piano, clay, my knack of puzzles when I was little, reading, trying to make friends, or  attempting to do my own hair for a dance.

20. Thanks for your constant imagination! Like the time you quenched my boredom by flipping through the channels on our T.V. to teach me how old members of our family were.

21. For daddy-daughter dates and long conversations in the car.

 I guess what I'm trying to say is thanks for letting me be one of the luckiest daughters on earth!  You made my childhood magical and my teenage years exciting. I got to be one of the little girls who the first guy she ever fell in love with was her daddy. All those college boys have a lot to live up to!

No comments: