Sunday

What I found under the bed

I cleaned my room today.

There was a lesson on it in church today so I figured something had to be up. There was a story shared of how a woman was honored to have an apostle stay at her house. The question then came, "What if you parents told you, 'Hey, one of the bretheren (or Them, as my Seminary teacher puts it) is staying at our house for the night. He's going to sleep in your room.' What would do you think he would think of you?"

Slob. First word that came into my head. Images of clutter, that dumb band jacket I haven't returned since Homecoming, and more clutter came into my head along with a little horror-movie music.

Heheh, okay so it's not that bad. I have what you might call an orgainzed mess. I know what goes in what pile on my floor and why. But the question still stuck. What would he think of me? Needless to say,

I cleaned my room today.

My mind kinda chewed on this food for thought the entire time and I kept asking myself it. I came across really nice notes from really nice people, handouts that I immeadiatly stuck on my wall and wondered why I'd just crammed them in my scripture case, and even pictures from dances. I kept looking back at the spots I had cleaned and smiling at how nice they looked. And I even went as far as doing a few extra things like wiping down my desk and stuff.

I realized now that I would be honored to have an apostle stay in my room. He would probably smile at all my handouts haphazardly pasted and pinned to my walls and bulletin boards, chuckle at my dance pictures, and wonder why a 10-days-till-17-year-old has so many stinkin' toys jam-packed into her closet. And I'm not sure if he'd really go for the brightly painted flowers on my wall, but the point is I wouldn't be ashamed.

My thoughts branched out. He could look through my iPod and I wouldn't be ashamed. He could check my internet-surfing tides and I wouldn't be ashamed. He could search my backpack for the books I'm reading and I wouldn't be ashamed. (About the books, that is. My backpack has a ways to go.)
I guess it's just the same as the question, "If Christ came to your home would you do anything differently?" But it really hit me today. I tried to imagine the first impression my room would make and it kind of made me feel a little bit better about myself.


Now my goal is to keep it that way. It shouldn't be too hard. I mean, I don't have any kids who like to mess it up yet. I guess my only problem is that I'm a kid who likes to mess it up. Babysteps...


No comments: